NMJAS – Registering projects
- Any New Mexico student in grades 6-12 is eligible – all public, private and home-school students.
- Entires are limited to single individuals. Team projects require separate approval from the regional director.
- Although the project need not be entered in a science fair, the paper must reflect actual science experimentation by the student, or theoretical work of the student in an area of pure mathematics or physics, or the development of a scientific computer model. Papers that are simply literary ‘search’ papers are not acceptable for competition.
- Students may work with a mentor or receive help. However; all assistance must be noted in the paper’s acknowledgments.
Students conduct an original research project, such as for a science fair. In addition, students write a research paper about this project and defend it with an oral presentation.
To enter the project in the NMJAS competition, a student will then
- Fill out the online registration form (January/February)
- Pay a $15 fee (PayPal, with a check, or school purchase order)
- Submit the paper to a regional director by email before the deadline
Research paper – the complete format and submission rules and guidelines can be accessed through links in the menu on the left. It will be sent electronically to the regional director.
Oral presentation – The format for oral completions will be determined regionally according to prevailing COVID guidelines at the time.
State competition – A maximum of 12 winners will advance to the State Competition, associated with the NM Science and Engineering Fair in Socorro (April 1-2, 2022).